Creating a film on a mobile device has its benefits, but also some challenges to overcome. Here are some of the most effective ways to ensure your film is the best it can be.
- Keep it Short and Sweet: Mobile films are best suited for the short film category. There are a multitude of genres and topics you can cover in a short film, especially with all the creative options mobile filming allows for. A 20-minute film that engages and captivates the viewer is much more worthwhile than a full-length feature film that is uninspiring.
- Get Your Gear: Mobile filming is attractive due to the fact that almost everyone has a smartphone. Another great thing is there are affordable accessories available to improve the quality of your films. This is great if you have an older phone or are not familiar with editing software. Construct a mobile filmmaking kit to keep with you when filming or in-case a perfect opportunity comes your way. Most accessories can fit in a small bag!
- Improvising is Okay!: Having a plan is ideal, but with the flexibility of filming with your mobile device, you can explore options that may not work with a full-on camera set-up. See an amazing sunset on your way home? Capture it! Pass by a random street festival with a live band? Stop and film it! There may be an opportunity to use your clips in a later film.
- Plan for Your Environment: While impromptu filming is great, if you can plan ahead for the type of environment you are filming in, this will help you in the long-run. Especially if you are planning on filming at night, underwater, or indoors vs. outdoors. If you know where you are filming, you can determine which equipment you will need and the best course of action for your film.
- Choose Your Story: Keeping your focus is key! Choose a theme or storyline for your film and try not to stray. Creating storyboards and scripts will help you stay on track and avoid frivolous shots. This is especially helpful if you do not plan on doing too much editing to your film.
- Be Creative: This is your chance to show the world what you are made of, don’t hold back! You will be sharing your films with friends, family, and people around the world, so be proud to put your name on it! Mobile filming is a great opportunity to try your hand at this new media form and see if you can send a message out! Be a citizen journalist, make a documentary, or make a comedy skit, it is valuable as long as you are putting the effort in.
Now that you have an idea of what to do for mobile filming, get started! Grab your phone, grab some gear, and begin to make your mark as a mobile film director. A great way to get started is by sharing your newly created films on your VQuick app! VQuick also offers the ability to upload clips and arrange them into films, letting you customize and collaborate. Download the app today on Google Play or iTunes and begin your mobile filmmaking career!